The Mood & Mind Centre
|Posted on 9 March, 2021 at 3:45|
Written by Jessica Parker (February 2021)
As we finish up the month of love, lets look at some of the most common traits of healthy relationships and some of the ways that you can introduce them into your own relationships.
1. Showing Affection: Affection is the Number One reason couples seek therapy (Doss et al., 2004). Affection in relationships is essential to get a feeling of satisfaction and support from your partner. A few simple ways to show your partner more affection is to give your partner your undivided attention when he or she is talking to you, make eye contact, give them a hug or just add a little more loving touch to your daily life. A little bit of affection can go a long way.
2. Communication: Effective communication in a relationship not only helps the couple make sure their needs are being met, but it also helps you to be more connected to each other. To improve communication, make sure you say what you mean, and make your feelings and your needs clear. While it may be tempting to avoid conflict, there is no substitute for the trust that is built in a relationship with open communication.
3. Making up after an argument: While we are all human and conflicts do happen in all relationships, the signs of a healthy relationship is the couples attempts at making a repair after a rupture. After an argument has happened try cooling off, apologise, validate your partners feelings and attempt to understand what may have triggered the conflict in the first place.
4. Appreciation: Couples in healthy relationships tend to feel gratitude not only to what their partner does, but who they are as a person. Research has found that showing appreciation can prompt both partners to think and act in ways that help them signal gratitude to each other and promote a desire to hold onto their relationships. One way to incorporate more appreciation into your relationship is before bed name one thing that you appreciated about the other person that day.
5. Sharing your dreams for the future: We all have dreams and desires that we want to share with the people we love. One thing that successful relationships have in common is that the couples in them make plans for the future. Making plans builds a bond and a stronger sense of security. So sit down with your glass of wine or cup of coffee and share those wishes for the future.